Monday, August 15, 2011

Tiger Pride

I would like to take some time to talk about my new job and how much I am enjoying it so far. Being a graduate of UMBC, I am not used to "college pride" in the traditional sense. In high school, I was anti-school pride. I always loved UMBC, but got quite frustrated many-a-time with their disorganization and general neglect of student satisfaction. They seemed to purposefully make everything difficult and a mirror of the "real-world" without much guidance or encouragement. This was something I came to appreciate, but also resent because of the way the campus was run as a whole, the disorganization of student events, and how every obstacle along the way required multiple hoops to jump through and people to talk to.

First walking into Towson's Administration building, I saw tigers.... tigers EVERYWHERE. This campus is so spirited and so something I am so not used to. My co-workers beamed "Good Morning"s and welcomed me with open armed enthusiasm. As I worked here longer, I came to realized just how student-focused Towson tries (and succeeds might I add) to be. Our focus is so refreshingly student centered on every front. Support services are actually advertised! Not to mention, the flyers posted around campus are up to date and rotated on the regular, even! I feel proud to work here. I feel proud to be raising money for this school... to be raising money for education and especially for future teachers (a huge part of Towson's graduates). The good I feel I am doing is so beautifully cyclical! Towson is a state school, but only 23% of our funds come from state funding... the rest is up to us! Plus, we have over 600 designations in which to gift your funds! I am so excited for that kind of challenge, for getting people excited about education and philanthropy.

If, for some reason, my humble excitement got you all riled up about supporting education too, you can support by giving a gift here.

No comments:

Post a Comment