Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Big To Do and A Little Background Part 2

I was still very on the fence about graduate school in my senior year of college. I loved all of the opportunities in my major to study so many subjects, but when it came to the time to actually specialize, I was lost. I couldn't see devoting 3+ more years of my life to something I wasn't wildly passionate about. The more I studied under the theory of environmental science, the more I realized that humans were just this small blip in the time scale of the earth, of the universe and the earth would heal itself eventually from anything we could throw at it. That doesn't mean that I am still a conservationist, but it does mean that my original passion for saving the earth from the nasty plague of humans had kind of deteriorated.

My graduation and acquisition of a Bachelor's degree coincided perfectly with the start of the recession and mass unemployment, especially in my age group. It took me 3 months to find a job and I began working for and being abused by an environmental consulting company, travelling to 9-or-so different states, and eventually getting so fed up on an audit that I drafted my resignation letter the second I got home, with no solid job lined up (and believe me I had been applying for months). I was unemployed a few months before I got a gig as an accountant that I quit to go on a two month trip to Finland. When I got back, I was unemployed for a few more months until I got a job as a receptionist of a museum in Baltimore and now here I am at Towson.

The future?? Here's the Plan:
*Take all necessary undergraduate Physics and Calculus classes
*Take the GRE
*Take the Physics GRE
*Apply to graduate school
*Get PhD
*Acquire position at university

No comments:

Post a Comment